Deep Dive General Motors' G80 Locking Rear Differential
A transmission shop, you'd likely want to get new axle bearings as who knows what got in there when the gears ground themselves to bits, new diff carrier bearings and spider gears and pinion bearings and ring gear and pinion gear and if you have a limited slip diff then there's that bit too.. Plus labor so still probably much better than a grand.... We have over 585 Million VINs in our database, going back to 1980 and up to 2016. Ford, Lincoln, Mercury, and Mazda Truck matches are from 1992 to early 2012 . Our Total VIN Decoder is a service we provide for dealerships, salvage yards, insurance companies, and businesses that need detailed, precise information about a specific vehicle.
How do you know if you have a Locking Rear Differential?
My G80 quit some time ago. I don’t know about you, but I like both of my rear wheels to lock up when I need them, so a rebuild was in order.... All 8.5” 10-bolt rears have two squared-off ears at the 4 and 6-o’clock on the bottom of the pumpkin, that is the #1 tell-tale sign, if you don’t have those, you don’t have an 8.5” 10-bolt. Up until 1988, all GM 8.5” 10-bolts had 28-spline axles, which are thinner than and not as strong as the upgraded 30-spline axles. Finding 30-spline axles is easy, you just have to take some measurements and order them. You …
Locking Differential or Limited Slip? Chevy TrailBlazer
Fill the differential directly from the bottle if you've got clearance, but if space is tight, you can get a pump or extension hose to make the job easier. The bottom of the plug hole is the youtube how to write a lousy mission Items #1&3 will work OK, just be careful. Regarding Item #4, the VIN won't tell you about the axle. The easiest way to determine if van has a locker is to look on the RPO code placard on the edge of the passenger front door. If it has "G80" listed, then the van has a locking differential. If no G80 listed, then it is an open axle. By the way, if it has "GU6" listed, the van has a 3.42:1 axle
G80 Car Forums and Automotive Chat
2009-01-02 · if you have the duramax, automatically you have the G80 (American Axle and Manufacturing 11.5 inch!) i have the locker in mine too! it is a mechanical locker that when you spin the wheels, it locks up so both spin and stays locked until you get traction and get up to cruising speed! once you get cruising the pressure is released off the locking how to tell him you want a divorce I have the differential in my hand and there are 4 clips on each side the looks like they have to come out before I can get the old gears out. The spider gears are destroyed and I don't know if I will change the whole differential or just the gears.
How long can it take?
Topic Poor traction with 2WD Silverado GM Authority
- G80 Car Forums and Automotive Chat
- G80 Car Forums and Automotive Chat
- SilveradoSierra.com Differential Size Transmission
- How do you know if a GMC Safari has a Locking Rear Axle?
How To Tell If You Have A G80 Differential
In case you do not know how the locking differential works, here is a bit of information about the g80. General Motors 8.6 30 spline 3 series Eaton locker (posi) carrier with 3.73 gears. 11-41 stamped...
- 2016-02-10 · You can have a G80 with any gear ratio, the fact that you looked up the codes it would seem you answered your own question? IMO the 3.73:1 gear is the best one. I have a 4.10:1 gear and I am wanting to go to the other. your gear ratio is a great balance of power and economy, the 3.42 is all highway, 3.73 is balanced, and 4.10 is best for drag racing/towing.
- All 8.5” 10-bolt rears have two squared-off ears at the 4 and 6-o’clock on the bottom of the pumpkin, that is the #1 tell-tale sign, if you don’t have those, you don’t have an 8.5” 10-bolt. Up until 1988, all GM 8.5” 10-bolts had 28-spline axles, which are thinner than and not as strong as the upgraded 30-spline axles. Finding 30-spline axles is easy, you just have to take some measurements and order them. You …
- 2017-04-20 · If you already have the right ratio then I can't imagine the car would or could know you changed the diff from the original one to the G80 one. If you don't have the right ratio you will need to correct that or you will have a lot of issues. Depending on what year car you have you might be able to change this ratio using hptuners to modify the programming.
- 2011-03-03 · the reason you must know what diff you have FOR SURE is , with the G86 you need the 4oz of additive for the cluches.use of 80-90wt GL5 gear oil is the fluid to use with this one. adding this 4oz of friction modifier to a G80 you will damage it. 75-90wt synthetic is used only with the G80.